Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Et tu, Brute?

I took Sammy to Joann's the other day to get "stuff" for her Evil Fairy costume. I was thinking some wings and a little fabric to make a skirt. Once we got there she proceeded to describe a very intricate costume design that she had created on Pixie Hollow. Ummm.... yeah.. no problem... "a piece that goes here and crosses, you know, like this..." (all of this done with very vague hand gestures).

I could see that she had her heart set on something very fancy, and as this was the first year she actually asked for something that might take a little extra, I didn't have the heart to nix it. I mean, why should Riley always get the fancy shmancy stuff?

I was able to explain to her that I didn't think I'd be able to duplicate her "vision" with my limited sewing skills, and talked her into looking in the pattern books. Luckily we found a nice fairy pattern that she liked ALMOST as much as her own design. Oh so lucky for me it involves a satin under-dress with a filmy, see-through (organza?) layer over the top. YAY... basically that's 2 dresses in one.

So now, Melinda the not so talented seamstress, gets to make 2 whole costumes from scratch! Oh yeah, don't forget the wig.

Now I'm just waiting for Olivia to turn on me too. She'll want to be Marie Antoinette or something. No biggie, I think they have a pattern for that too. Anyone want a 3 piece suit while I'm at it?

4 comments:

Johnny Rotten said...

I was hoping to be Jack Skellington for Halloween. Can you make something for my that will make me skinny?

Catherine said...

Well at least it's just the first part of October and you have plenty of time to get things done....

Graciesmom said...

Holy Cow! You keep saying your not creative and can't sew but look at you!!! Way to go!

Momma Paulson said...

Have fun Melinda! You get the best mother of costumes award. :)