Friday, July 24, 2009

Obsession

OK, so I've hinted at the obsession I had up at the cabin in an earlier post... My sister-in-law sets out a hummingbird feeder whenever they go up to the cabin and there are several little hummingbirds who like to fight over it.

One morning I got lucky with my camera and got a shot of the little orange chested guy. It turns out it really was a lucky shot because the little stinker wouldn't let me get another really good one for the rest of the trip.


Being the weirdo that I am, I just had to set up my tripod and my zoom lens and try to get some more shots of the little stinkers. I got quite a few of one with a bright pink throat, that is, when the orange guy wasn't chasing him away. The little orange guy would lurk in a nearby pine tree and any time one of the others tried to get a drink he'd come dive bombing in and squeaking and scare them away.

I wasted A LOT of time doing this, however since I was on vacation and I was having fun doing it... I suppose it wasn't a waste. I also got some really good shots. Sammie wanted to get in on the fun so she pulled up a chair to the tripod and took over for a while. And dang it if she didn't get some of the best shots!

If you click on the pictures you can see them larger with more detail. And also, I'm proud to say that the only Photoshopping I did to these was to crop them. Nothing else... (which is hard for me because I just love to tweak things till they look just perfect).






Thank you to my sis-in-law for getting a picture of my daughter while I was busy shooting birds! She got this one of Sammie waiting patiently for more hummingbirds.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

These are such great shots!

Unknown said...

good job to both of you! Sammie's inherited your talent, eh? :)

Momma Paulson said...

I love those pics. Very cool.